Human Foods Dogs Can’t Eat

It is a great time for picnics! If you plan on bringing your furry friend along, you should ensure they don’t accidentally eat human foods that can be extremely dangerous for them. Here’s a list of foods you should keep out of your dog’s mouth.

  • Avocados
    Avocado fruit, pits, leaves, and bark contain a toxin that is safe for humans but can be poisonous to dogs, called persin. If your dog eats avocado in any form, fluid could accumulate in their lungs, chest, heart, pancreas, and abdomen, leading to oxygen deprivation, death, or other fatal complications.
  • Xylitol
    This sugar alcohol is commonly used as a sweetener for candy, gum, toothpaste, and baked goods. If your dog eats food that contains xylitol, they could experience a major drop in blood sugar, vomiting, weakness, depression, moving difficulty, a coma, and seizures. These symptoms often appear within half an hour after consumption. It could even cause liver damage and lead to death.
  • Caffeinated beverages like coffee and tea
    Caffeine can cause a dog’s heart rate to speed up and stimulate its nervous system. Some symptoms dogs may experience within two to four hours after consuming caffeine are restlessness, excessive thirst, a lack of bladder control, vomiting, and diarrhea. Dogs can overdose on caffeine. If too much caffeine is ingested, dogs can even have an abnormal heart rhythm, leading to death.
  • Grapes and raisins
    The reason grapes are toxic for your dog is still unknown, but eating them can cause many fatal symptoms, even in tiny amounts. Grapes and raisins can cause rapid kidney failure, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, depression, and even death. Remember that even a very small amount of grapes and raisins raw or in baked goods can cause these problems.
  • Chocolate
    The stimulant chemicals theobromine and caffeine are in chocolate. If your dog eats chocolate, it might experience stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration symptoms. The symptoms can worsen and become even more severe, including heart attacks, internal bleeding, muscle tremors, seizures, and death. Chocolate will be more toxic to your dog the darker it is, but still, be cautious of sweeter chocolate. Even the smallest amount could be enough to trigger toxic symptoms.

These are not the only foods to keep away from your dog, but they are a few that could cause some of the most severe symptoms.